Donor Advised Fund
What is a donor advised fund?
A donor advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to support your favorite charities easily. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
How does it work?
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program.
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free).
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice.
If I have a DAF, how do I use the DAFDirect form? (located to the right)
- Select the sponsoring organization from the "Donate now from:" field.
- Specify "PSC", "Discovery Corps", or "Portal to the Public" in the "Designation:" field.
- Enter the amount (in dollars) you would like to recommend in the "Amount:" field.
- Click on the "NEXT" button to proceed to the sponsoring organization's website to complete your donor advised fund transaction. Please note, you will be directed to an external website to complete your transaction.
Will I receive membership benefits from Pacific Science Center for an annual fund donation made through a DAF?
Since the original contribution to the DAF provided the maximum tax deduction, the donor-advisor cannot receive any benefits that would change the value of the tax deduction. However, the donor-advisor can receive benefits that have insubstantial or no fair market value.
Whom should I contact with questions regarding giving to Pacific Science Center through a DAF?
Additional questions about making a gift to PSC through a DAF should be directed to Jason Keen at (206) 443-2880 or email@example.com.