Science Communication Fellowship
Science Communication Fellows are scientists, researchers and other science-based professionals who have been certified by Pacific Science Center as current science ambassadors and excellent communicators. Fellows join Pacific Science Center in inspiring lifelong interest in science, math and technology.
Becoming a Fellow
- Scientists participate in Pacific Science Center's Science Communication Short Course, a series of four professional development workshops focused on building the skills to effectively engage public audiences. Scientists refine key messages related to their areas of expertise and practice simple techniques for talking science with non-scientists.
- Each Fellow develops a hands-on educational activity directly related to their area of work. Ample concept development and materials selection support is provided by Pacific Science Center staff. Activities can be used for Pacific Science Center programs as well as classroom visits, fairs and festivals and other outreach venues.
- Fellows participate in a minimum of three Pacific Science Center public programs per year. Opportunities include Saturday Scientist Spotlight events, special event Research Weekends, summer camp guest presenter, Science Café speaker, etc.
- Official Pacific Science Center Fellowship certificate, for reference in a C.V., commending commitment to science communication and public engagement.
- Consultation and assistance in designing and writing broader impact plans to fulfill grant and other outreach requirements.
- Letters of acknowledgement and professional documentation, suitable for sharing with supervisors and for grant reporting.
- Opportunities to network with local scientists committed to public engagement and education professionals.
- In addition, Fellows are official Pacific Science Center volunteers and enjoy all official volunteer benefits, including monthly exhibit and IMAX passes to share with family and friends and invitations to special events and social receptions.
For More Information
Contact Stephanie Arduini, Portal to the Public Program Specialist at Pacific Science Center: firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 443-2886.