About the Program
Most camps have 1-2 volunteers working with 2-3 paid staff and up to 20 campers. NIT and SET assist with camp and can expect to sing songs, lead games, and otherwise help out as needed. We are looking for teens who exhibit strong communication and leadership skills, have an interest in science and the natural world, are motivated to work with young children and able to take on the responsibility of a positive role model.
Science Educator in Training:
- 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday for full day camps
- 8:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. or 12:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. for half day camps
- 8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. Monday to Friday for full day camps
- 8 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. for half day camps
- Gain experience working with children
- Earn valuable leadership and job skills
- Receive passes to Pacific Science Center exhibits, IMAX films, and planetarium and laser shows
- Work with professional science and environmental educators as mentors
- Complete up to 100 hours of volunteer service to the community
- Verification of service hours
NIT and SET Expectations
NIT and SET Expectations
Science Educators in Training and Naturalists in Training are expected to:
- Have fun while learning new skills.
- Attend two mandaory trainings.
- Volunteer for at least two weeks of camps.
- Be at camp on time, Monday through Friday as scheduled.
- Be at least 14 years old by May 17, 2014.
- Be a positive role model for campers.
- Exhibit sound judgment and act in a responsible and safe manner.
- Communicate with staff about any problems or frustrations.
- Let an administrator know if you leave the camp site for anything besides a field trip.
- Follow all Pacific Science Center procedures and regulations.
- Be proactive in assisting camp staff. Typical tasks may include:
- Lead songs or games with groups of campers
- Setup and cleanup of projects
- Read a story
- Help keep a group of campers together
- Assist with getting campers into the van and fastening seatbelts
How to Become an NIT or SET
- Completed application form including personal information, short answer questions and signed statements.
- Two completed recommendation forms from adults who know you and are not family members.
- NIT: May 17 at Pacific Science Center and May 31 at Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center (exact training times TBD)
- SET: May 17 and June 7 at Pacific Science Center (exact training times TBD)
NIT volunteers are strongly encouraged to attend canoe training on June 14. Although not required, we encourage NIT to attend as an opportunity to learn steering techniques and safety procedures. NIT who do not attend training will not be able to canoe with their camps during the summer.