Events & Programs
Camps – Frequently Asked Questions
Should my camp selections be based on my child’s current grade or next year’s grade?
Summer camps are based on the grade the camper is going into fall 2018. There are no exceptions. Campers going into kindergarten in fall 2018 are eligible for grades PreK-K and grades K-1 camps.
What is the kid code used for?
The kid code is a “secret” code that you pick when you are registering for camps. This code is used to pick-up your camper from camp. When you arrive for pick-up, you will be asked your child’s name, camp title, and kid code. Please make sure that anyone picking up your camper knows this code. If you forget your kid code, you can show ID and we will reference this with the names listed on the Authorized Pick-Up list you selected during registration. If you forget your kid code, you can call our office at (206) 443-2925. Your camper does not need to know their kid code. If you have multiple campers signed up, it is recommended that you use the same kid code.
What is the adult to child ratio in each camp? How many campers are in each camp?
Per camp, there is one lead teacher and one to two assistant teachers. Typically, there are 20 campers per camp. Some camps like preschool, overnight and sensory-friendly camps have 12-16 campers.
Do you offer any camps for high school students?
No, but we do have service learning opportunities for teens (ages 14-18) during the summer to assist in our summer camps. To learn more about this opportunity, please visit our website.
I want to sign up for Potions or Shipwrecked with Seattle Children’s Theatre and do not see it listed. How do I sign up for these camps?
Registration is through Seattle Children’s Theatre. Please visit their website or call (206) 859-4040.
What is the waitlist process? What are my chances of getting off the waitlist?
Waitlist spots open when someone transfers out of or cancels their registration for a current camp session. If this occurs, an email is sent to the first person on the waitlist and they have 24 hours to sign-up for that spot. If the first person notified chooses not to register or does not register within the 24 hour time–frame, they are removed from the waitlist and the spot is offered to the next person in line through an e-mail.
Waitlist openings are impossible to predict and we do not know the likelihood of camp spots opening. Due to the physical limitations of our classroom spaces and our required adult to student ratios, we cannot add spaces to full camps. If it is a matter of needing childcare for your camper, we recommend that you look for other options.
Is extended day care offered at all locations?
Yes. However, camps that collaborate with our partner organizations (MOHAI, MoPOP, Center for Wooden Boats, etc.) may not have extended day care.
Is extended day care offered for a.m./p.m. half day camps?
Extended day care is only offered for the session your camper is signed up for. For example, if the camper is signed up for half day morning camp, ONLY morning extended day care is available. If the camper is signed up for half day afternoon camp, ONLY afternoon extended day care is available and morning extended day care is NOT available.
My camper has allergies/food restrictions. Can I sign up for lunch at Pacific Science Center, St. Thomas School and/or Overlake School?
Pacific Science Center: Maybe
- The vegan lunch option is egg, dairy and nut-free, but contains soy and gluten. We cannot make any substitutions to the set lunch menu. If you have any concerns, we recommend that you do not sign up for the lunch.
St. Thomas School: Yes
- Sage Dining Services is committed to safe food for all campers. In the camp reminder e-mail, we will send a link in which you can list/describe your camper’s allergies/restrictions. Camp and kitchen staff will be notified and help your camper select food they can eat.
The Overlake School: Maybe
- Depends on the severity of the allergy/dietary restriction. We cannot guarantee an allergy-free environment. The kitchen is a shared facility and food may be exposed to allergens. The kitchen can accommodate non-life-threatening things like vegetarian, dairy-free, etc. If you sign up and we are unable to accommodate your camper’s allergies/food restrictions, we will contact you for a refund. If you have any concerns, we recommend that you do not sign up for lunch. In the camp reminder e-mail, we will send a link to describe your camper’s allergies/restrictions.
How do I sign up for vegan lunch at Pacific Science Center?
Two weeks before the camp starts, parent will receive a confirmation e-mail. In this e-mail, there will be a link for the parent to sign up for the vegan lunch option.
When is the last day to add lunch?
All orders must be made by 4 p.m. on the Wednesday before your child’s camp start date. Lunch orders are not available by the day.
When does early bird registration end?
Monday, April 30, 2018. Prices will increase by $30 per camp after this date. Lunch and extended day care prices will not change.
How do I transfer and/or cancel summer camp?
To transfer between camps or to cancel your camp session(s), call (206) 443-2925. Please have your confirmation number ready. Your confirmation number can be found in the confirmation email you received after registration.
- Transfers: Requests for transfers must be made at least one week prior to the camp start date. A $20 processing fee will be retained per transfer.
- Cancellations: Requests for withdrawal from camp must be received at least two weeks prior to the camp start date. No refunds will be given within two weeks of the camp start date. A $100 processing fee will be retained per camp session.