Curiosity Expo (CX) is a science-filled weekend for the whole community, with hands-on activities led by local experts built around a single, inspiring theme. CX is included with general admission.
Climate Change // CX
February 28–March 1, 2020
For this installment of CX, investigate the impacts that climate change has on the earth. Recent wildfires, melting ice caps, extreme temperature fluctuation, and hurricane intensity have all been linked to climate change. Dive into this pressing topic through hands-on activities, lives science shows, and more. Stay tuned for updates!
Activities and experiences include:
- 350 Seattle: Get involved with climate justice! Become an advocate, make an impact on your local community, and vote
- Bike Works: Find out about the true carbon footprint of driving, and think about ways to bike more
- Climate Action Families: Play climate change games while learning about how to discuss this difficult topic with all ages
- Duwamish Valley Youth Corps: Learn about cleanup efforts at the Lower Duwamish Waterway Superfund site and ways that you can help
- EarthGames: Help save earth! Play games that challenge you to think about how to make an impact in your daily lives, while also learning about game development
- Fair Trade Winds: Discover how ethical, sustainable fashion positively impacts our environment
- Lumen: Learn about how light pollution impacts climate change
- Microsoft HoloLens: Try this mixed reality, untethered device while discovering new innovations
- PacSci: Measure the carbon levels in your body with our Artist in Residence, Rachel Lodge
- ReMake Lab/Lopez Waste Management: What are the best ways to make sustainable choices? Learn the truth about recycling
- Rowan Institute: Visit this space of support to talk about how climate change impacts our mental health
- Seattle Chapter of the Feminist Bird Club: How does climate change affect the local bird population?
- Seattle City Light: Discover how this city organization uses energy to power Seattle
- Seattle Friends of Fission: Learn about innovations in nuclear energy
- SR3 (Sealife Response + Rehab + Research): Help the sealife in Puget Sound, with a special focus on the research and rehabilitation of whales
- Terrapower: Learn the ins and outs of nuclear energy
- Tilth Alliance: Create your own compost bin and learn about the importance of worms
- UW Clean Energy Institute: Discover innovations in next-generation solar energy and battery materials and devices, as well as their integration with systems and the grid
Upcoming Curiosity Expos
Climate Change // Curiosity Expo has been made possible through a partnership between PacSci and the University of Washington’s Polar Science Center and Applied Physics Laboratory. Visit psc.apl.uw.edu.
King County Library Reading List
Here at PacSci, we’re proud to partner with the King County Library System to develop a reading list for each of our Curiosity Expo programs. Start a conversation with your family and friends on this fascinating topic by checking out some of the books on the latest reading list. Visit your local library and then head over to PacSci to keep the conversation going!
KCLS curates this list and by clicking the Reading List webpage you are navigating to an external website.
Curiosity Expo is sponsored by The Boeing Company.
Members Get More
Ignite your curiosity day after day! Members enjoy unlimited free admission for a year, discounts on events and programs, invitations to exclusive events, as well as passes and discounts on IMAX and Laser shows, and ticketed VR experiences.
What’s Happening e-Newsletter Sign-Up