Smoke: The New Normal?
In 2017, smoke from the Jolly Mountain fire in Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest billowed its way to the Puget Sound. Working with burnt trees from the fire, local artist Ted Youngs is bringing awareness to wildfire season early with The Smoke Season, an art installation trilogy around Seattle Center. As part of the installation, the Lone Fir – one blackened Douglas fir, will be on display in PacSci’s courtyard June 15 through September 15. Come preview the installation before it’s open to the public and join PacSci for a panel discussion as we approach wildfire season in the region. The panel includes:
- Paige Browning (moderator) – Newscaster, KUOW
- Ted Youngs – Founder, Big Power Project
- Tom Dent – Washington State Representative
- Erik Saganic – Technical Analysis Manager, Puget Sound Clean Air Agency
- Cora Sack – Physician, University of Washington
Tickets are just $5 or FREE for Pacific Science Center Members. | Doors open at 6:30 p.m.