Spectacular Spices (Best for Grades 3–8)
Learn more about the science and history behind some of the popular herbs and spices adding flavor to recipes from around the world. Discover the connection between taste and smell while testing the best combinations to create a spice mix of your very own!
For this program we recommend having the following materials ready:
- Science Notebook or paper
- Pencil or something to write with
- Coloring utensils (such as crayons, colored pencils, markers)
- 3-5 spice or herb samples
- Before the program, we recommend that for each spice you would like to include for your learner, scooping out a small amount into small individual cups or a plate large enough to avoid having the spices mix together.
- During this program participants will have the option to do a smell test with their own spices and/or herbs.
- Participants will also have the option to use their provided spices to make their own spice blend.
- Optional: Small jar or sandwich bag (if interested in saving your spice blend to use later!)
- Optional: Measuring spoons
Recommended Grades: 3–8
Spectacular Spices - 2/22 - Registration