Plan Your Visit
Naked Mole Rat Cam
See what the naked mole rat colony at Pacific Science Center is up to 24/7 with the live naked mole rat cam.
If you have trouble seeing the video, try this direct link.
Make sure to see our Naked Mole Rat colony in person at PacSci! Watch them exercise on their climbing ramp, rest in their sleeping chamber, and go about the tasks of cleaning and gathering food. The Naked Mole Rats exhibit is included with general admission.
Upcoming Virtual Events
About Naked Mole Rats
These underground rodents from Sub Saharan Africa challenge many of our assumptions about mammals. They are nearly hairless, cannot regulate their body temperature and function as a big colony with a single queen. Their resistance to cancer and heart disease challenge scientists in other ways – to figure out how their bodies protect themselves from disease.
- The animals may be motionless but not dead. Their resting metabolism is much lower than that of other mammals. They may breathe slowly and appear not to be breathing at all.
- Sometimes the chamber you are viewing will be full of animals, but don’t worry. They are not getting trampled. They evolved to need and tolerate crowding.
- Naked mole rat use their teeth to dig, chew, and carry their babies, which they can do very gently. They have strong jaws, but they would only bite a person or another animal under very unusual conditions.
- The dark markings you see on the mole rats are identifying tattoos. The ink is for a cause. Because their skin is pink and hairless, the markings are quite conspicuous. Learn More
- The clicking sound is the mole rats chewing on their surroundings. This is a natural excavating instinct.
Thanks to our friends at Nest, watch live HD video of these amazing creatures 24×7. The live stream here requires a Flash-enabled browser or download the free Nest app for your iOS or Android device and view these streams anytime.
We welcome your questions and comments about the activity you see. Drop us a note anytime at email@example.com.
What’s Happening e-Newsletter Sign-Up
Members Get More
Ignite your curiosity day after day! Members enjoy unlimited free admission for a year, discounts on events and programs, invitations to exclusive events, as well as passes and discounts on IMAX and Laser shows, and ticketed VR experiences.
Curiosity Never Closes: Support PacSci
While we are closed to the public, we are still serving the community. We depend on support from you.