Mercer Slough Environmental Education CenterA partnership with the City of Bellevue, offering nature-based programs for all ages.
Lake Washington Watershed Internship Program
A year-long internship opportunity in Bellevue and Bothell for teens interested in stewardship, habitat restoration, and stream monitoring. Applications (see links below) due September 19, 2018.
The Lake Washington Watershed Internship is a year-long program that assists high school students in becoming informed stewards of their local community through mentoring, hands-on learning, habitat restoration and stream monitoring. High school students gain a greater understanding of the world around them while developing teaching and presentation skills, mentoring elementary-aged students about their local environment, gaining critical scientific skills and obtaining job experience.
As an intern, youth have the opportunity to explore their local environment through outdoor experiences such as hiking and canoeing. They also become leaders of long-term natural history, environmental science research and community outreach projects. Interns can participate in the program for up to three years and may be eligible to earn skill badges and college credit through the internship program. For questions, call (425) 450-0207 or email Mercer.Slough.Teens@pacsci.org.
We offer two cohorts of the Lake Washington Watershed Internship Program out of Bellevue and Bothell.
Mercer Slough Cohort (Bellevue)
- Who: Students in grades 10-11 who live or go to school in Bellevue and are interested in environmental science, working with youth and spending time outside
- Where: Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center (1625 118th Avenue SE, Bellevue, 98005)
- When: The year-long internship begins October 2.
- Time Commitment: One 2-hour after-school meeting held weekly on Tuesdays and two 5-hour Saturday meetings per month.
North Creek Cohort (Bothell)
- Who: Students in grades 10-11 who live or go to school in Bothell and are interested in environmental science, working with youth and spending time outside
- Where: University of Washington Bothell campus (18115 Campus Way NE, Bothell, 98011)
- When: The year-long internship begins October 4.
- Time Commitment: One 2-hour after-school meeting held weekly on Thursdays and two 5-hour Saturday meetings per month.
To learn more about the program we call LWWIP – (Pronounced “El Whip”), listen to the following PacSci Podcast: