By Bryana Allen, Delta Dental of Washington
Summer is in full swing! It’s time to soak up sunshine, warm weather and visit your favorite travel destinations. If you’re hitting the road this summer, don’t forget to pack for your smile.
For miles of healthy smiles, add these items to your road trip checklist before you back out of the driveway.
- Pack smart snacks. Junk food is convenient, but has a dark side — it’s bad for your figure and your smile. For a refreshing and easy treat, bring fresh fruit. If you want something salty, pack nuts or whole grain crackers with cheese.
- Load up on sugarless gum. It’s one of the Tooth Fairy’s top tips because chewing xylitol gum serves two purposes. First, it’ll keep you from continuous snacking on long stretches of highway. Second, it’s a great way to clean your teeth between meals when you can’t brush.
- Bring plenty of water. Coffee, energy drinks, and sodas may give you a quick boost, but they’re full of sugar which is bad for your waist and smile. So, swap them out with water. It’s even better if it’s tap water from home.
- Pack a back-up. Sometimes things get left at hotels and bathrooms along the way and convenience stores don’t always have what you need. Be prepared and pack an extra toothbrush and travel-sized backups of all your smile care products. No one wants to be stuck in a car for hours with stinky breath.
- Know your dental benefits. Dental emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere~even far from home. Familiarize yourself with your coverage just in case something happens on the road. If you’re covered through Delta Dental of Washington, you can view your coverage easily and quickly through your MySmile® Personal Benefits Center account.
Now you — and your smile — are ready to hit the road! What road trips are you taking this summer?