PacSci DIY: Camps Edition Squishy Circuits
With Mid-Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Camps just around the corner, here is a sneak peek of one of the many fun camp activities you can expect your camper to take part in.
Materials You Will Need for Squishy Circuits:
- Play Dough
- Battery Pack with Wire Leads (can be found in most electronic stores or online)
- Mini LED Lights (can be found online)
Rather make your own Play Dough? Here’s how:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil food coloring
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, add 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, and 1/3 cup of salt.
2. Add 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
3. Turn your burner on medium/low and stir. It will be a little lumpy. That’s okay.
4. Keep stirring until it starts getting a little solid. If there are still a few lumps, that’s OK, you can work them out later. If your stove is already hot, this may only take 20-30 seconds, but it may take 2-3 minutes if it’s still heating up.
4. Once it reaches that point, add the food coloring right away. It will be much easier to mix up if you do it now.
5. Stir in your food coloring.
6. Once the dough starts gathering together around the spoon you know it’s done.
7. Remove your homemade Play Dough from the saucepan and put it on some waxed paper or a plate to cool.