Stock Donations to Pacific Science Center
When you donate appreciated securities that you have held for more than a year, you not only get your current tax deduction for your gift, but avoid long-term capital gains taxes!
Not sure how this works? Here is an example:
Sharron has stocks currently valued at $25,000 that she purchased for $5,000 several years ago, which will result in a $20,000 capital gain if she sells the securities. She is in a 35 percent marginal income tax bracket.
If Sharron donates this stock to her favorite nonprofit, here are the benefits she will receive:
- Sharron receives an income tax charitable deduction for the full fair market value of $25,000 – saving her $8,750 ($25,000 x 35 percent) in income taxes.
- Sharron also bypasses the $20,000 capital gain, saving $3,000 in her 15 percent capital gain tax bracket ($20,000 x 15 percent).
- The total tax savings from capital gain and income taxes is $11,750.
Tip: The best stocks to donate are those that have increased greatly in value – particularly those producing low yield that you have owned for longer than one year.
Interested in donating stock to Pacific Science Center this holiday season? The process couldn’t be easier, simply follow these steps to facilitate the transfer of shares:
1. Provide your broker with the following information:
Pacific Science Center Tax ID Number: 91-0750867
Broker: Fidelity Investments
DTC Number: 0226
Account Number: Z75-437689 – Pacific Science Center
2. Remind your broker to include your name, contact information, and any special instructions for use of the gift with your transfer.
3. Contact Rachel Friedman, Donor Information Coordinator, at (206) 269-5717 or email@example.com with information about the type of stock you’re giving and number of shares, as well as any special considerations you may have.
Have any additional questions about making a gift? Contact the Development office at (206) 448-2878 or firstname.lastname@example.org.