Pacific Science CenterBringing science to life.
Human Resources Intern (Unpaid)
Pacific Science Center’s Human Resources Department has an exciting internship opportunity for a student pursuing a Human Resources career. Pacific Science Center employs over 400 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff. Typically we post over 100 positions a year. Fall is a transition time and involves staff planning, recruitment, and onboarding for the upcoming busy winter season.
The Human Resources Intern will play an integral role in staff recruitment, candidate sourcing, interview facilitation, training support, employer branding projects, payroll and benefits, and more! At the internship’s conclusion, the intern will have gained valuable HR recruitment, onboarding and administration skills.
Reports To: Human Resources Recruiting Manager
Position Start Date: September 2017
Position End Date: Mid-December 2017
Time Commitment: 15-20 hours a week (may involve some evening and weekend hours)
- Assist with staff recruitment planning
- Utilize Taleo recruitment software to post and manage applicants
- Co-facilitate group interviews
- Assist with background checks and references for new staff
- Co-facilitate trainings and assist with onboarding new staff
- Develop the employer brand of Pacific Science Center including development of social media posts, exposure to marketing strategy and acting as an ambassador for the Science Center at recruitment fairs (as available)
- Assist with administrative tasks related to of payroll and benefits
- Provide general administrative support to the HR department and Human Resources Director
- Other duties as assigned
- Develop high-level administrative skills associated with recruiting and onboarding large volumes of temporary seasonal staff while utilizing Taleo and Ascentis software programs
- Strengthen communication skills through interactions with applicants, Human Resources and other Pacific Science Center staff and hiring managers
- Demonstrate leadership skills while working in a team environment
- Learn project management and balance collaborative with self-led work
- Cultivate public speaking skills through co-facilitation of staff interviews and trainings
- Gain insight into the inner-workings of a busy Human Resources Department with a demanding work-load
- Current college or graduate student working towards a degree with an interest in Human Resources
- Strong skills in word processing, desktop publishing and document production
- Must have very strong attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills and service orientation
- Track record of working well within a team environment
- Courteous professional manner
- Independent, self-led learner
- Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Human Resources Recruitment Intern.”
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.