Pacific Science CenterBringing science to life.
Social Media Intern (Unpaid)
Pacific Science Center’s award-winning, interactive programs reach more than 1.3 million people around the state each year — in their communities, classrooms and on our campus. The Social Media Intern will help the Marketing and Communications department strategize promotions around Pacific Science Center events by using social media to showcase photos and video of the Pacific Science Center.
At the internship’s conclusion, the intern should have gained valuable promotions and marketing skills while strengthening their resume. This is a great opportunity for students who want to positively impact a nonprofit while exploring a career in Promotions and Marketing. Interns may also receive college credit depending on their school’s requirements and guidelines. (This is a perfect capstone project for a student seeking a Masters or Bachelors in Communications, Marketing or Development.)
Reports To: Communications Manager
Position Start Date: March 2017
Position End Date: June 2017
Time Commitment: 15-20 hours a week, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, with occasional Fridays
- Photograph our Discovery Corps youth and volunteers in action.
- Take photos of events and activities for Social Media
- Create content for Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Schedule social media posts
- Communicate our impact and stories to donors.
- Create reports on progress to team
- Participate in monthly Marketing Team meetings on 2nd Tuesdays of each month at 10 am
- Other duties as assigned
- Strengthen communication and customer service skills through diverse interactions with Science Center staff, event volunteers, and the general public
- Develop administrative and creative skills associated with working in a busy Marketing department
- Demonstrate promotions planning and leadership skills while working in a team environment
- Gain insight into the inner-workings of a large nonprofit educational institution and museum
- Experience in Social Media
- Skill in Film or Photography
- Candidates must be current college students
- Flexible and willing to take on a variety of tasks
- High level of energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- Works well independently, as well as part of a team and can react accordingly to the Science Center’s fast-paced nature
- Strong customer service skills and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Pass a criminal background check
- Provide 3 references
- Candidates working towards a degree in Museology, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or Development preferred
- Membership during your internship
- Bus or parking passes on the days you volunteer
- Opportunity to share your knowledge and skills
- Add to your resume and explore new careers
- Elevate your current skill set and showcase your talent
- Expand your network of contacts and raise your visibility
- Experience leadership and be part of a great team
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Social Media Intern” in the subject line.
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.