Pacific Science CenterBringing science to life.
STEM Education Internship (Unpaid)
Pacific Science Center is committed to driving science education forward in Washington State, and inspiring today’s youth to further their education and go into careers in science, technology, engineering and math. We offer a wide variety of programs, including standards-based formal and informal science education programs and an award-winning environmental education center.
We are looking for STEM education volunteer interns to support our STEM-OST (Out-of-School Time) program. The focus of this internship is to deliver hands-on lessons and activities in physics, engineering, astronomy, mathematics and remote sensing to elementary and middle school children in out-of-school time programs in underserved communities in the Seattle area. The program employs a tiered mentoring approach; each STEM-OST team, comprised of one outreach education teacher, one STEM education volunteer intern and one teen intern, visit participating community organizations with existing out-of-school time programs for a Summer Series consisting of one hour sessions per day for five days (typically over a 5-week period).
Candidates who are enrolled or seeking enrollment in an education certificate program or with a background in education are well suited to this position.
TO APPLY: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “STEM Education Volunteer Internship” in the subject line and attach your resume and cover letter.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 1, 2017
Reports To: Outreach Education Manager
Position Start Date: Mid-June
Time Commitment: A program series typically runs 1 day/week at each site for 5 weeks (a few will run daily at a site for one week). At least a 5 week commitment to at least 1 program series is preferred (about 4 hr/week for 5 weeks), to ensure consistency throughout the delivery of a program series. We highly recommend committing to more than one program series to allow for a more in-depth volunteer experience.
Schedule: Variable; dependent upon number of program series. Programs run mid-June through end of August.
- Support STEM-OST programs at community-based youth organizations and other sites.
- Assist with the evaluation of programs and activities.
- Assist with mentoring teen interns.
- Support curriculum/training development.
- Assist with collection and reporting of statistics and reports.
- Assist with research, development and revision of program materials.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Enrolled or seeking enrollment in an education certificate program or STEM program.
- Experience working with elementary and middle school-aged children.
- Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check.
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Great attention to detail.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Track record of working well within a team environment.
- Desire to inspire children through innovative and engaging science curricula.
- Enthusiasm for science and science education.
- Courteous professional manner.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation.
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.