Pacific Science CenterBringing science to life.
Volunteer Coordinator Assistant Intern (Unpaid)
Pacific Science Center’s Human Resources Department has an exciting internship opportunity for a student pursuing a volunteer management career. Pacific Science Center engages 500 regularly active volunteers, almost 1,000 special event volunteers, and an extra 150 teen volunteers for the summer months. Spring is a transition time and involves volunteer planning, recruitment, and onboarding for the upcoming busy summer season.
The Volunteer Coordinator Assistant Intern is a member of the Human Resources team and will play an integral role in volunteer recruitment, candidate sourcing, interview facilitation, training support, benefits coordination, and special projects/research. At the internship’s conclusion, the intern will have gained valuable volunteer recruitment, onboarding and administration skills.
Reports To: Volunteer Engagement Manager
Position Start Date: March 2017 Position End Date: August 2017
Time Commitment: 15 hours a week (may involve some evening and weekend hours)
- Assist with volunteer recruitment planning
- Research volunteer recruitment sources and post volunteer positions
- Manage applicants
- Track screening process
- Co-facilitate group interviews
- Assist with background checks and references for new volunteers
- Co-facilitate trainings and assist with onboarding new volunteers
- Develop the employer brand of Pacific Science Center including development of social media posts, exposure to marketing strategy and acting as an ambassador for the Science Center at recruitment fairs (as available)
- Assist with administrative of volunteer benefits
- Help to plan and execute volunteer recognition events
- Provide general administrative support to the HR department
- Other duties as assigned
- Develop high-level administrative skills associated with recruiting and onboarding large volumes of volunteers while utilizing Volgistics volunteer management software program
- Strengthen communication skills through interactions with applicants, Human Resources and other Pacific Science Center staff and hiring managers
- Demonstrate leadership skills while working in a team environment
- Learn project management and balance collaborative with self-led work
- Cultivate public speaking skills through co-facilitation of staff interviews and trainings
- Gain insight into the inner-workings of a busy Volunteer Program and Human Resources Department with a demanding work load
- Current college or graduate student working towards a degree with an interest in volunteer managment
- Strong skills in word processing, desktop publishing and document production
- Must have very strong attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills and service orientation
- Track record of working well within a team environment
- Courteous professional manner
- Independent, self-led learner
- Must be able to provide 3 references and pass a background check
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title “Volunteer Coordinator Assistant Intern.”
Pacific Science Center
We are an independent, not-for-profit educational institution that ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us.
Pacific Science Center is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and it is expressed in all aspects, from the people and communities we serve to our organizational culture and our employees.